Tuesday 2 February 2021



Welcome champions. Had an interesting comment made last week about the blog being the best thing on the net since the early 80's-90's motorcycle magazines. I was quite chuffed about that. I guess the mixture of bikes, customs, cars, ladies, road food, and everything else that we all like and aspire to is hitting the mark with you all. It's not that hard really being a motorcyclists is a given to liking this sort of stuff. Well the Diavel is in the house, nice to have one again, I think thats 110 now. Starting to lose count actually of how many motorcycles I have owned ( not counting the 100 odd that I have bought just to sell). But pretty sure it's 110. So in a funny kind of way, it makes me an anecdotal expert on most types of motorcycles. has to be said that there are a number of motorcycles in that number that I have owned that are repeats. Kawasaki ZRX's, Yamaha XJR1200 and 1300's, BMW F800GS's, Ducati monster's, and now Ducati  Diavel's. I'm also quite lucky in that on top of the motorcycles that I have personally owned, I've also ridden many many more of all types and genre's. So when someone asks me about a particular type of bike or a particular style, chances are I've ridden them. On top of that I also keep a very close eye on trends, styles, and genre's of motorcycles as well. A lot of those trends and styles appear in this blog. This year makes it 47 years that I have been riding and I consider myself very lucky to have been there right in the middle of what I consider the golden years of motorcycling, starting from the CB750, Z900, Katanas, RC30's 8 valves, and Ducati 916, through to todays modern superbikes. A very rich vein of motorcycling. Plus we've been lucky enough to witness the greats of our sport as well, Mike Hailwood, Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson, Mick Doohan, Valentino Rossi and now Marc Marquez. Not forgetting our own greats here in NZ, that I've also been lucky enough to have  close relationships with, some I've even sponsored and had in my teams. So anyways pleased that you seem to like it, and pleased that you tune in each week. Here's this weeks installment for your continued viewing pleasure.





Two of my bikes on the front row of this shot from Ruapuna, oh and two Britten's as well.
Good idea

Some road food I experienced a couple of months back









Well, I'm no expert on this style, but it's out there




The Superlight was a pretty nice motorcycle, and is very quickly becoming quite collectable










In my opinion one of the best motorcycles ever produced








It's true you can race them

Very pretty



A lovely bobber







They certainly pack it all in there that's for sure.
One of our own Lizards gets taken out
I rode one brand new, and thought it was going to kill the owner, rode one a few years ago and couldn't believe how slow it was haha
getting down


I love the Suzuka 8 hour bikes, they look so bloody cool































As my mate Robbie Phyllis would say"hat's quite horn"
basic is as basic does. On, Go, Stop

Now if you've never tried it, you should. My all time favourite food. Goes with beer, wine, cheese, and motorcycles












Lovely restomod Guzzi




Very pretty
The perfect touring motorcycle
















That's all you need in your garage, oh and a Moto Guzzi T3





Form and function














Honda F1 engine with what looks like a standard motorcycle clutch and gearbox attached to the back






Concorde cockpit conundrum 
Apparently Honda's new RCV this year has invisible brakes

Pretty wire wheel Katana, nice looking motorcycle
Lovely restoration Ducati going into a featherbed Norton
There used to be 1000's of these in England back in the early 80's, where are they now?













I Like this modern update of a classic race bike, well done


0 miles







6 comments:

  1. Nice work again Grant, cheers Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, apart from the shot of me taking out Scotty. He ended up stealing my ignition, rebuilt the bike and went out and won the next race. I spent the next 10 days in Wellington Hospital with a squashed kidney. GS 1000s are not light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good showing this week Grant. Hope you’re settling in at the new gaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the whereabouts of the 1000’s of air cooled RD’s in England. A lot were thrashed into the ground, literally! Some owners applied their (lack of) tuning skills and wrecked the engines. Think expansion chambers, pod filters and no jetting adjustments! Then Elsie came along and stole the limelight. Those that survived and have been restored command big money now. Shame there is not an modern equivalent, fun, exciting, lightweight and affordable motorcycle to attract the younger generation.
    Thanks Grant for another top instalment.

    ReplyDelete