Friday 21 August 2020


It's that time again, welcome to my little corner of the world. I always seem to say this. but it's been a busy old week in my shop. The F1 is back all powder coated up and parts are slowly being bolted on. I'm very pleased with how it is coming along, although two steps forward and three steps backwards at times it seems. Haha, shit I do some stupid things sometimes. Like putting the forks on around the wrong way and applying very expensive original stickers. Then realising that its wrong and having to destroy the decals because they would have ended up on the wrong side. Then applying the wrong paint to the calipers and watching your hours of prep go up in a wrinkled mess. Oh well if it was easy everyone would be doing it I suppose. I often look at some of the stunning customs made and wonder how many times did you do that to achieve that finish and that look. I've learnt that it takes patience and careful thought to achieve that particular look. O got a call the other day from a guy in Germany who was apparently so impressed with my restoration of the MHR that he just had to call me and just have a chat about it. He was most effusive about that and I think he even suggested that once all this Virus shit is over to come to Germany and visit with his group. I say I think, because my vor sprung dork technique was not that good. So that was nice. heading off again to do some fishing in a couple of days. I can do this because the build is stalled while I wait for my discs to be re-anodised, and for parts to arrive. Speaking of which, I was visiting a mate down in Wellington last week and he showed me his home built electrolosis set up for removing rust. I thought that's so cool I'll try that on my cast iron discs. First attempt was a nightmare, I did it in an aluminium tray and the anodes connected with the tray causing it to melt and spill 30 litres of vinegar and baking soda all over the shop floor. But I persevered and now my discs look like new again. Simple science eh? A trick to store away. But enough I hear you say on with this weeks installment . Enjoy, share like comment.
























Al the pretty ones lined up in Japan.
Road food at it's finest. When we travel we get to taste all the best this country has to offer




Lovely work here




Well that went wrong



Isn't this Z a stunning motorcycle

Oh yes, nothing like a good stomach sticker somewhere down south









Jesus that looks busy
Only in Italy.








If you haven't ridden one, you will never know.







There's nout like a good wheel stand





































Every bite a warming morsel to keep you warm on the road

Roadside burgers are brilliant, you are allowed to eat the green stuff.






I do like the look of this Honda, can't say that about too many of their bikes, but this one looks great
A bit fancy, but when you hit a town and go out for a few beers, nothing better.


The original image of Robert Holden at Ruapuna, man could this boy wheel stand


The sole reason I put images of the racing Yamaha's in here is because they look fantastic, they were brutal bad handling  things , but oh the joy of seeing one being used in anger, well it's a sight and sound that I will never forget. And despite their inherent complexity, they have a simpleness to them, nothing there that shouldn't be there. All for one purpose, to go fast










Workshops are a great place to hang out in, all sorts of shit gets done.

















After a long day in the saddle, it's always good to have this when you get home










Not entirely sure, but I've always said each to their own



















I post a few older bikes here, because you can see the DNA in them that goes into todays bikes, I think it's kind of important to recognise that.

And I post shit like this because they are just, well......interesting. What self respecting moto x track maker wouldn't want one of these.

 


Now this IS nice


I built one of these once, pity that i sold it.
Not my most favourite Guzzi in their line up, but this one looks OK.

How long would they be white for.
You don't need big to make a good looking bike


Some where in NZ this is going on every weekend.





An RZ 500 in an R6 frame, lovely work that man.










Yeah nah, it's kind of wrong really, two steps forwards , three back lind of thing









This weekend just gone, we witnessed an amazing event, that thankfully didn't have any deaths. MotoGP in Austria two bikes collide at over 300KPH, then they charge on down the track riderless and nearly take out two more riders at the top. It was a fucking miracle that no one was hurt. Check out some of these images, absolutely fucking amazing. I would not have blamed Rossi for walking back into his pit hang his helmet up and keep walking. In the lap of the the gods. he claimed he didn't even see the first bike, it went by so quickly. Vinales actually took both hands off of his bars to cover his head ( little good that would have done), and then he out accelerated Rossi!!!! But then Rossi goes out in the restarted race and get s a 5th!!!!!!! What on earth makes these guys tick







Look how close that wheel is to Vinales head, I'd be ducking too!!!! The amazing thing was a split second later the racer in him came out and he was on the gas hard, out accelerating Rossi. He wasn't to know that race would be stopped, so he just went for it. I'd be heading for the nearest toilet me thinks. These guys stand apart from us mere mortals, they really do.






And on that note that is me. I get my Guzzi back this weekend, so I know what I will be doing. bring it on please. See you all, again, be nice to other people the worlds so full of shit at the moment, that we need a bit of kindness.

Just thought that I would attach some images of the Ducati F1 that I am currently restoring. Two steps forwards and then 3 steps backwards seems to be the way. But it's coming together pretty well. What do you think







I'm a bit troubled actually, looking at this bike. I am restoring it obviously, now the purists would want me to replace all the bolts like for like, and I understand that, but I prefer stainless as they last longer. It has to be said that the quality of the original really wasn't as good as it could be, so I use stainless. Some would say that this detracts from the value of the bike, as it's not original. What do you think?





Pretty cool don't you think. Oh well, it's time to pack the gear and head out for some fishing. See you all next week.




















13 comments:

  1. Thanks, Love ya work Grant..ever improving..this has to be one of the best editions yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always, can't wait to see the T3! I also think stainless fasteners are a good thing and don't really change the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stainless all the way. But that is how i did my Commando.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures as always, as for the F1 looks great use the stainless bolts i did on my T3 rebuild and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stainless always looks good. I hope you enjoy your T3 as much as I enjoy mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, it’s your bike, use whatever bolts you want. Looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome looking bike already. Stainless is good I reckon. You dont really notice it until its pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stainless all the way, if someone wants it 100% authentic they can change them. I binned all the JIS screws on my bike for exactly that reason

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Grant ,takes a bigger person to confess their fk ups ,as is said ,"those that don't fk up ,don't ever do shit ",you give us mortals hope and inspiration to have a go ,stainless adds class imho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice as usual, love your work.
    I use stainless. Just have to make sure it is a good grade of stainless. I use 316 for general purpose and Bumax for high stress bolts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gangaur Realtech is a professionally overseen association having some expertise in land administrations where coordinated administrations are given by experts to its customers looking for expanded an incentive by owning, involving or putting resources into land. Motorcycle gps

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poster of Robert Holden wheelying on his GS1000 is awesome. I was there the day they took that picture. Robert and I worked together at Wellington Motorcycle Centre for 4 years. He was a great fun person. He would occasionally want to go dirtbiking in the weekends so he would let me have the GS1000 and I would lend him my PE175. I had that bike showing 240 Kph on a long strait in the Wairarapa!! I helped run it in, which means I got to take it for the weekend and "loosen it up" so it revved quicker!!! I also rode his Black pipe wire wheel GSX1100 (reputedly a 120HP machine) Great memories.

    ReplyDelete