Thursday 3 October 2019

It's that time of the year again, daylight saving is here which can only mean one thing, motorcycle riding. Isn't it good when the weather turns slightly and it's really nice to point your face to the sun, but even better when you can feel it on your back heating up your leather jacket as you ride. The Distinguished Gentleman's ride has been had this weekend, and in this weeks blog you will see some images from the Wellington ride courtesy of Marc, thank you. We went to the Tauranga one and there were three things that we noticed. Firstly everyone is getting older, secondly it never ceases to amaze me or my friends just how many nice old classic motorcycles there must be sitting in sheds in this little country. We had at least 6 or 7 Norton Commandos on our ride, and I see a few in the Wellington ride as well, plus a Vincent, Rickman Mattises, you name it they are all still here. And last the amount of people that came out of their homes with their grand parents and children ans waved and stood along the route clapping and cheering., it was truly amazing that even though we are a dying breed of animal in this highly legislated country of ours, people still love motorcycles.I guess it goes back to our can do days and number 8 wire attitude that a lot of these bikes are still around and being ridden. fantastic stuff to all who attended. So enough I say on with the blog, please share, enjoy, like, follow, what ever. The MHR is sold and gone to a good home, the Scuderia gets its engine back today, so that build continues, it's looking bloody good I have to say. Prices for these bikes are rising quicker then we can keep up with it seems. I worked out it's actually better to invest in an old classic Ducati than money in the bank. say you buy a 40K Ducati, this time next year it will be worth 45K, and the following year 50K, the prices are ramping up which is making it difficult to buy. I had a person phone me asking about the MHR, when I told him the price he said " oh fuck that thats way to dear". I said "thats fine mate, because next year they'll be 5K more expensive and will keep going up, and in about 10 years time you'll be saying to your mates shit I could have bought one of those for 45K once, look at them now 80K.". better then money in the bank. And imagine now you can use this excuse on your better half, by saying " it's an investment darling honest". You all know that one, but now it's true. Had another good thing happen this week, I get a letter from the Justice department, "Oh Oh , I say out loud, what have I done now. Open it up and it's a cheque for 35 dollars, I'm confused and after a quick call, I discover its the first part or reparation from one of the scum bag meth heads who burgled my place. YES!!!!!! Time to pay up. Anyways enough I hear you say ( even if you don't read this part) on with this weeks collection. Enjoy, share, spread the word.


Liked this image, a Ducati out doing what a Ducati can do, pity the R in the number plate couldn't have been a B. B 4 BJ'S

















 My old SPS996 stickered up and ready to race



 Good food, good wine great company, this is what riding is all about
 And then there's the 'road' food too.






 Love this shot, the quiet of a garage, no interruptions, no hassles








 Now I will die arguing that the 916 is the most attractive motorcycle ever designed and built, but Honda did a pretty bloody job of this bike too. Worthy of it's cult and collectible status










 Wellington DGR


 A waterbus cop bike, who knew?









































 Black Adder, this was a very famous racing Harley in the early days of BEARS racing, it went so bloody well, better then what you would think it should








One of my old riding buddies out doing it for mens health on the DGR in Wellington

 One way to open a door








 My country has some of the best roads in the world, plus the vistas are just simply stunning





























































It's a grainy old image, but it made me laugh, and if it makes me laugh it should make you laugh too



















If only eh?

































































I predict that these type of motorcycles will make a resurgence very very soon, Moto Martins, Harris, the big GS turbo'ed 4 cylinder special framed motorcycles were a cult bike then, and will be again.



So, that's that for this week, hope you enjoyed a few quiet moments. A quick word also, I lost a blog friend this week, Michael Bradley passed away this week. Michael was always the very first every week to send me a message thanking me for putting this blog out, he really enjoyed the images, and I really enjoyed getting short little one liners from him. Was very sad to hear of his passing. RIP Michael.

7 comments:

  1. RIP MICHAEL. Keep up the good work Grant. I too look forward to the blog every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos enjoyed all of them,something for everyone one in those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. poetry in images ,Michael recognised and appreciated this fine work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to seeing your pics. Always impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy in Whangamata5 October 2019 at 15:48

    Great blog Grant. Check the original Goodbye Pork Pie movie. Im pretty sure the cop bike chasing them into the scrapyard was a water bus too. BTW Is Cagiva 500 the best looking race bike?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Grant, made my arvo.

    ReplyDelete